Cartographer I – Palmer, Alaska
We are looking to hire a Cartographer I, specifically someone who understands how to take data and turn it into information in the form of maps. Deal with multiple data types with assigned datums and projections such as survey points, imagery files. A Cartographer I will also need to know how to read and follow construction plans for template design and application. You will be expected to be proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D, specifically dealing with Alignments, Profiles, Surfaces and Point Groups, along with a solid understanding of how AutoCAD functions. The use of these tools to produce quality deliverables in an office environment will be the primary task. In addition, the Cartographer I will be expected to manage time wisely, work well both individually and in a team environment, and understand the “why” aspect to what we provide our clients. It is probable that some projects require overtime and long days to meet our deliverable goal, so this should be considered. Our goal is to hire someone with drive, a desire to be their best and produce work to their best ability, something they will be proud to put their name on and is motivated/always looking to improve his or her skill sets. TerraSond provides the opportunity for you to make the most of your career, work with extremely talented people, while working in a safety conscience environment.
Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
• Verify and compile data, prepare and present data in an electronic drawing format as specified by Team Leads and contract requirements
• Abide by TerraSond Ltd.'s drafting standards and standard operating procedures
• Prepare and alter maps, tables, detailed graphics, and three-dimensional models of terrain using computer graphics software.
• Review project contracts to ensure that survey data and the results are presented in compliance with contract requirements
• Determine map content and layout, as well as production specifications such as scale, size, projection, and colors, to follow client and company standards to ensure that specifications are followed
• Examine, analyze and compile data from ground surveys, reports, survey field notes, aerial photographs, historical maps and satellite images to prepare topographic maps, aerial-photograph mosaics, and related maps
• Assist with building and organizing libraries of blocks, symbols, and images used in the creation of cartographic products
• Collect information about specific features of the Earth using aerial photography and other digital remote sensing techniques
• Inspect final compositions to ensure completeness, accuracy, and pleasing aesthetics which will include redlines based on team input and client reviews
• Communicate clearly with other staff members, work on multiple projects during a single day by refocusing on progress throughout the day
• The Cartographer I works in a fast paced environment and is expected understand the numerous resources available to be a self-driven problem solver before engaging other team member
• Assist with proposal preparation
• Minimum of five years of relevant drafting and cartography experience with a minimum of two years of work experience using AutoCAD OR MicroStation is required
• Experience in AutoCAD Civil 3D, Bentley MicroStation, along with Global Mapper, ESRI ArcMap and ArcCatalog are desirable
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Suite with emphasis on Microsoft Word and Excel
• AS/AA or BS/BA in Drafting, Geomatics, Cartography, Geography, Natural Science,
Engineering, other relevant disciplines or work experiences
Skills and Special Requirements/ Licensing:
• Working knowledge of conventional land survey, hydrographic survey and remote sensing data collection, processing, QA/QC and reporting and mapping.
• Background in mathematics to include trigonometry, algebra, geometry, statistics, and their applications
• Knowledge of imagery manipulation, geo-referencing, datums and map projections/coordinate systems
• Comprehensive knowledge of general drafting standards
• Demonstrate commitment to safety principles and protocols
• Highly motivated, organized, and detail orientated
• Ability to think critically and solve problems creatively
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrate ability to be team member
• Excellent time management with focus on client deliverables
• Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and commitment to excellence
TERRASOND, an experienced multidisciplinary organization, remains one of the few truly
independent, agile, client-focused survey companies. We deliver innovative, reliable geospatial
solutions with a strong company-wide culture in HSE/Q.
OUR GREATEST resource is our people.
Our mission is to collect, compile, and identify geospatial and geophysical information that
provides the best possible solution offering the lowest risk for our clients.
Local around the globe, we excel at executing remote and challenging surveys. We have
successfully completed thousands of surveys in over 28 countries around the world for over 330 clients. These range from inland surveys to deep ocean seabed exploration and mapping
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of: race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by country, regional or local law.
If you require an accommodation, please contact TerraSond’s HR Department at 713-690-4900.
TerraSond is committed to a drug free workplace. Drug Testing and Background Checks are